Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Why shoot in RAW

I get that question quite a lot: why would I want to shoot in RAW instead of JPEG. Well, this post is my very personal opinion on why I prefer to shoot in RAW. I won't say that you have to follow my advice, I'm just listing a few of the reasons why I shoot in RAW: 
  1. I get to decide all the camera settings for each and every image, it's not the camera that decides. The camera might have different settings for what you have in mind. 
  2. Exposure (amongst other things) can easily be corrected in Lightroom or Photoshop when you shoot in RAW. 
  3. Same goes for white balance, temperature and the tint of your image.

  4. What I really value about shooting in RAW is that I'm able to do non-destructive editing. Every time you edit a .JPG image, a tiny part of the image/information is lost. With RAW you keep all the information each time you edit a picture.
  5. When you shoot in RAW you have access to the sharpness algorithm of Lightroom. Which gives you more and better details. When shooting in JPEG, the camera sharpens your image for you.
So there you have it. My main reasons for shooting in RAW 99,9% of my time. I guess the overall conclusion is that it gives me all the possibilities to make the images exactly like I want them to come out. 

Don't forget to follow us on Facebook or 500px

And have you already discovered our Facebook page Humans of the Nordic Region?



No comments:

Post a Comment